In our last article/video, we discussed CRM and the business problems a CRM can solve.
In this article/video, let us talk about what is cloud computing and how Salesforce, a CRM, uses cloud computing.
Salesforce is a cloud product and a web application. It is a CRM- Customer Relationship Management tool that offers various products on a cloud infrastructure. Generally referred to as a SAAS product, Salesforce is more than just a SAAS product. And this article/video will help you understand why.
In simple terms, Cloud is nothing but the internet. It refers to everything you can access remotely over the internet. When you store something in the cloud, it is stored on the internet servers instead of occupying the storage of your device.
Cloud Computing is the usage of computing services like storage, databases, servers, virtual machines etc. over the internet. It reduces the burden of maintaining physical data servers and instead encourages the use of services provided by cloud service providers over the internet with easy pay as you go pricing.
There are three types of Cloud Computing- SAAS, PAAS and IAAS.
Here, the software is maintained and run by the service provider and delivered to you over the internet. All you need to do is use the product as per your needs. It is an end-user application like web-based emails or other web applications.
Here, the service provider provides you with a platform for developing, testing and managing the software application.
Here, the service provider provides you with the basic building blocks for cloud IT like virtual machines, data storage space etc.
Salesforce uses Cloud Computing to provide CRM services so that you can work anywhere and at any time. All you need is an internet connection and a web browser.
As a developer, administrator, customer, or end-user, you do not need to install the software to use Salesforce. All you need is an internet connection and a web browser.
To use any software, you need to install that particular software on your local device. But, Salesforce is different. You can use Salesforce directly from your web browser. The company gives you access to the software, but you do not need to install it. You can use it on the cloud.
So you do not need to worry about the infrastructure required to install the software like storage on the device, device specifications etc. All you need is an internet connection and a web browser to access the software.
Salesforce is a powerful product that automates a lot of processes for a business. You use the software as a service, and salesforce.com is your service provider.
As a salesforce administrator or developer, you can use your browser to navigate to the salesforce settings and get the necessary configuration done. While a business user can use the browser to log in, open up any object and get the daily task done anywhere anytime.
You require a platform to develop any application. A platform that understands and deploys the code, enabling you to develop the application.
Salesforce provides its own platform called force.com or Lightning platform. You, as a developer, can code and extend the standard drag and drop features of Salesforce. You need not install a separate platform or do not require any external server.
In further articles/videos, we will discuss how you can configure and extend features on the Salesforce platform.
To build any application, you need an infrastructure. The infrastructure includes virtual machines, servers, data storage spaces etc. Salesforce provides the infrastructure to develop an application. Though Salesforce does not provide explicit infrastructure services like Microsoft or Amazon, it provides the infrastructure to develop applications on top of Salesforce applications.
Salesforce is hailed as the best CRM tool in the world and is used by more than 150000 companies including- Toyota, Spotify, Adidas and many more recognized corporations in the world. Now, that does not mean Salesforce is suitable only for enterprise-level businesses. Salesforce is a highly customizable CRM that suits the needs of even small and medium-sized customers.
● Salesforce is a CRM that not only provides a lot of inbuilt features. It also provides a lot many out of box features and at the same time, it also provides a platform.
● Salesforce is highly scalable and customizable. It has the capacity and ability to scale with ease and can be customized to suit all the business needs.
● The multitenant architecture of Salesforce allows all its customers, be it small companies or large corporations, to use the same infrastructure and platform.
● The security offering of Salesforce is unbeatable. It allows businesses to customize who can access what data in Salesforce CRM.
● Salesforce offers only high-quality products that are secure, customizable and easy to use, making it the industry leader.
● Salesforce updates the CRM with added innovative functionality thrice a year, and every customer, big or small, has access to updates. None of the existing features break during the update. Hence, customers can stay assured and use the latest version with ease.
● A business does not have to worry if something is unavailable because that is not the end. It can hire developers to build and extend the features and customize them using the platform force.com.
I hope this article/video helped you understand cloud computing and how Salesforce uses Cloud Computing. In further articles/videos, we will discuss how to use and develop Salesforce CRM.